Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Starbucks


I had an incident at Starbucks yesterday. It's my own fault. I expect bad things to happen so they do and then I huff and puff about it. I should just know better.

I was on my way to work (I like saying "work" as I haven't "worked" outside the home for 6 years, I'm so proud) and I figured I had more than enough time to cruise thru Starbucks and get my favorite drink - Grande Mocha Frappuccino Light. They are only 140 calories, are artifically sweeten and I like the taste. Ok, a regular cup of coffee with splenda and coffeemate is only 35 calories but it's not as fun and tasty.

I pull into the drive thru and there are a couple of cars in line. The car in front of me goes to order and I've rolled down my window to wait my turn and can hear her ordering. She must have been the last person in the free world to have never been to Starbucks before. She is asking for descriptions of the drinks and the food and is getting feedback from the toddler in the carseat. Finally she completes her order and its my turn to order. I say "a Grande Mocha Frappuccino Light please". She says, "Grande Mocha Frappuccino." I say "a Grande Mocha Frappuccino Light". She says, "Grande Mocha Frappuccino." I say, "Light" She says, "Right" At this point, I should have figured out my order was doomed.

I pull up behind the lady with the tot and she is being handed her drink and goodies. She takes a sip of her drink and I hear her say, "oh, this isn't what I wanted, let me have a latte instead and could you make a cocoa for my son." The barista takes back her drink and makes her new ones, gets more money and finally they go on their merry way. I get to the window and pay. She says, "coming right up". She tries to hand me my drink and I say, "That's not a Grande Mocha Frappuccino Light!" She says, "It's a Grande Mocha Frappuccino." I said, "Light" She says, "You said Right" I said, "I can't have this drink, it has too much sugar and I'm not allowed to have it." She says, "Oh, I guess we can make you a new drink." It's now been 15 minutes in the Starbucks drive through and I am going to be so late to my job now. So I said, "Just give me back my money, I don't have time to wait for you to make me my drink." She says, "I'll have to get someone to open the register." Finally I get my money and go on my way. I'm 10 minutes late to work and it wouldn't have been a big deal except I had to pick up supplies and be somewhere ASAP.

And do you know what is truly pathetic? After I finished where I needed to be, I went to Starbucks for that damn Grande Mocha Frappuccino Light. I was fixated on it. I had to have it! And I enjoyed it thoroughly. And what is more pathetic, I am sitting here, practically drooling, thinking about going out and getting another Grande Mocha Frappuccino Light this morning before I do anything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment