Tuesday, September 9, 2008

The Secret (sex) Life of the American Teenager

Nicole and I just finished watching the season finale of the show The Secret Life of the American Teenager. For those not in the know, it's about a 15 yr old pregnant teen and her school full of sex crazed kids. We have watched this together this past summer and we were both rather disappointed in it. First, the acting sucks. Or maybe it's the scripts that suck which causes the actors to act badly. All these teenagers spend too much time talking with adults about their feelings. They open up and spill it all. Oh, get real! You don't get information from teens without a crowbar and even then, it's full of holes. OK, I'm sure some teens talk about everything with their parents but I just don't know any.

Nicole and I have used this show though, to talk about the issue of teen sex and pregnancy. She is pretty open in our discussions and is very good about giving her opinion. Also, I just like that we have time together. We don't just talk about the show, we talk about school, friends, the future- in high school and college. We both respect each other and our opinions.

Although the show isn't living up to my expectations as far as content and reality, it has opened more discussions with my teenage daughter and that is always a good thing.

1 comment:

  1. You are right, the acting sucks and the reality is a bit of a stretch for sure! But I like the contents and it's ability to open up the arena with my daughter. :D

    ReplyDelete