Sunday, December 14, 2008

Walking Round in Women's Underwear...

I just want to sing. It's so beautiful outside, a winter wonderland. Well, we got snow. Not the Winter Storm 2008 that was originally predicted but we got about an inch plus on the grass. The streets, well, at least the driveway, where I went to get the paper, is laced with ice and very crunchy.

The cats are freaked out by it. Fig was so upset that his public restroom (the back garden) was covered with this icy cold stuff that he decided to take a dump on my bathroom rug. He comes in from the cold, decides he wants to be with us in our room, then starts whining. He goes into the bathroom for a bit then starts scratching on the rug. Rob goes into the bathroom and chases him out. He goes back in and keeps scratching, so I go in. I'm about bowled over by the smell, which Rob missed entirely (and thankfully he didn't step in it, although that might have clued him in to the fact that the cat shit in the bathroom!!) I ended up cleaning it up and spraying down the room as it stank! I have to say I can't blame Rob for missing the poop, as he has problems smelling which is good and bad.

The thing I hate about snow here is that it doesn't stay cold enough so it will start to melt, then during the night it freezes and the morning is so damn icy and since we live on a hill, it's dangerous to get anywhere. I know that I'm not a good winter road driver, so I try not to but the rest of people out there scare me to death. I've a friend from a more snowy region of the US who goes on and on about how people here don't know how to drive in the snow. She's right. Of course she did have to get pulled out of the ditch in front of her house, but that's different, right? I just figure we don't get the practice of driving in the snow when it happens maybe 2 to 3 days out of the year.

5 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got a bit of a holiday dusting! Don't worry - every year, people here have to re-learn how to drive in the snow. We talk big, but really - we're dumb drivers, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course not many have there have the skills to drive in snow since it only snows for a total of 10 minutes a couple times a year! Here you can take a "slippery driving" course...me, I just learned by doing-almost 8 years practice! Still not my most favorite thing to do...that's life here in the Great White of Northern Europe!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carrie, In your neck of the woods, you can't not go out it in the snow unless you want to hibernate! I'm a nervous nellie on icy roads and will stay off the roads if I can. I might have to go out today as we are now expect more snow tomorrow. Of course the news vans drive around and show the worst of it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duh...it's par for the course here. Many people here don't drive in this shit either! Thank goodness I live with a native who also has a ton of driving experience driving most anything-he has taught me well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I dread winter- I'm a desert rat at heart.

    ReplyDelete