Friday, November 9, 2007

Working

I haven't worked for 5 years. I was laid off from my job at Bank of America after 19 yrs. They handed me a great severance package and I settled back for a little R & R which turned into 5 years. My oldest daughter is getting married next summer and this is going to cut into the home budget (as if we really had one). My hubby, Rob, said that to do this right, it was time I got a job. The problem with working is trying to juggle kids and all their activities, which all happen from 2:30pm to evening. The logical thing is to try to get a job with the school district. So I send in my application and hoped for the best. I don't hear anything for a while and thats ok as I'm very involved in recruiting new girls and leaders for Girl Scouts. Then out of the blue, Girl Scouts calls me and offers me a temp position filling in at their regional office for a couple of weeks while one of the gals is out on medical leave. Yipee! They tell me I can work my schedule around my availability with kids, etc. It doesn't pay much but what a fun place to work as I love Girl Scouts and bleed green blood! Of course, not an hour later, the school district calls and wants to interview me. I had to so I couldn't at this time, as my temp position was open ended and I'd already said yes.

So for the last 3 weeks, I have been doing background checks on volunteers, scheduling training, answering questions, checking out materials and equipment and working with great people. I'm very sad to say that today was my last day. The office coordinator is coming back monday. I'll miss working there. I'm hoping that the gal who I was replacing will suddenly decide that she is working too many hours and would like to think about cutting back her hours (she is at retirement age) and would like to job share. If I could work 15-20 hours a week, that would be perfect. But I'm not holding my breath and I wish this gal all the best, but one can hope. Luckily I'm in the office often for other reasons and so I will be able to catch up on all the gossip. I'm thinking of sending a card or something baked to say "I had a good time!"

No comments:

Post a Comment